Sunday, February 6, 2011

Grocery shopping today

Today we went to Sam's Club to buy groceries.  I am trying very hard to stick to a budget of about $150 a week for groceries.  Sam's is the place where you buy things in bulk, but for my piggy family, it goes too fast to feel like we're buying in bulk. Yes, food prices are rising and even our beloved 8 o'clock Colombian coffee that used to be one of the best bargains there went up in price from $11.22 to $11.96 per bag.  They say prices are not rising and we have to worry about deflation, but that's a crock.  What they don't normally tell you is that the consumer price index does not count food and energy prices in their calculations and that is where the consumers feel it most.  At least my family does.

Anyway, today was the first time in at least 10 years where I paid for more than $100 groceries with cash.  Let me tell you it was weird.  Talk about keeping it real.  You are way more aware of your spending when you are counting out that money at the checkout.  I am not quite doing the envelope system and I do find that debit card transactions are so much easier to keep track of with online banking.  Try paying for things with cash more and you find it more difficult to spend money.  And if you are like me and trying to spend less and save more, it will help you avoid some of the impulse spending.  Try it next time you go shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment