Sunday, February 13, 2011

Helping pay down the National Debt

Hey, guess what I discovered today while working on my taxes. Turbo tax gave me an opportunity to get back part of my refund in savings bonds and gave a link to treasury direct. While surfing the site I noticed that one of the options is to make a payment to the treasury to help pay down the debt. I don't know if you've noticed, but there is a national debt counter on the site here and it is $14 gagillion and something and counting. I think I read somewhere recently that it adds up to over $40,000 per person in America. Now isn't that just dandy the way they spend our money?

Just in case you are looking to help reduce the national debt, here's the link You can pay online with credit card (that is, if you have not had your plasectomy yet) or you can mail them a check.

In a way I'm tempted to help because I love this country and am concerned about my kids future, but it is not a tax deductible donation, so I will continue giving my financial support to organizations that help people with autism or other charities. When our country can balance their budget and act halfway responsible with taxpayer money and make a good faith effort in getting America out of the hole, maybe I'll reconsider. Right now, I don't care to be an enabler.

No comments:

Post a Comment